Définition : Any communication system by gestures.
Some examples of gestural systems Natural gestures
- Amer Ind (inspired by a gestural communication of American tributes)
- French Signed (every word in the sentence is represented)
- Sign language (used by deaf people, different structuring of spoken language)
- Animated Hands (Montreal)
- Smog (used on the Flemish side)
- Sezame (created to help people with intellectual disabilities)
- Coghamo (Sezame adapted for people with motor disabilities)
- Makaton (gestures associated with images)
- ……. Etc….
Highlights of these systems:
- It’s at your fingertips, always available.
- It is a system used initially spontaneously by any person in difficulty of oralisation
Weak points of these systems:
- It requires good fine motor skills.
- The communication partner must know the meaning of the gestures.